Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Farmers Markets and What's In Season: Fruit & Veggie Availability in NC

My favorite part about visiting a Farmers Market?  



I get to visit with 
REAL PEOPLE
 that grow 
REAL FOOD
that is 
HEALTHY FOR MY FAMILY.

And...
They can give me advice on the best way to grow the food myself.
  
I bought a bed of lettuce plants at the Piedmont Triad Farmers Market, and the local seller spent quite a bit of time with me.  She explained how to plant and care for it, and how to harvest it.  

The whole bed was $10.  
I'm gonna save a whole lotta money growing my own lettuce.  


I also got two mum plants, $5 each.  There were a lot of colors available, but this red reminds me most of fall, and will complement my yellow house.  
Can't wait 'til they are in full bloom!

We enjoyed lunch at Moose Cafe, which integrates farm fresh veggies picked daily by market vendors.  I was very surprised to see a packed dining room for Monday lunch... but their reputation is excellent and I shouldn't have been surprised.

For a full list of 
farms, farmers markets, nurseries and gardens in North Carolina, 
 go here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog