Tuesday, May 8, 2012

An Open Letter to the State of North Carolina about Amendment 1

North Carolina, I cannot tell you how disappointed I am in you. I have spent years defending you, trying to believe that I live in a state that embraces the culture and diversity that embraces it. To pass an AMENDMENT to the State Constitution, that lets the law determine who I "should" love, is shameful. It is hard to believe the people of NC have supported this. It reinforces the thought that we are still "in the South", with separation and hate. BTW, North Carolina. A bi-racial family had a cross burned in their yard in Haywood county TODAY. How can this still be happening in this day and time? People, if you are against hate, you have to SPEAK OUT. Please do not stay silent. If someone is being mistreated, you CAN make a difference! Let your heart follow love. Amendment 1 should not have passed. My brother-in-law Bebop said it best a few minutes ago-- "I hope amendment #2 is for the illegalization of divorce. That will truly protect marriage, in a profound way!"
 While I realize this Amendment has nothing to do with race, it does have to do with ignorance, bigotry, judgement.  To me, the same people that voted FOR Amendment 1 are the same people that will judge you by your race, religion, sexual preference, etc.  It is about humanity. 
 

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said! The south has a lot to learn about love and the separation of church and state.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog