In 1873, Kernersville built four miles of railroad track to complete the connection between Greensboro and Winston-Salem. A depot was also constructed, and it is now the second oldest in western North Carolina. The building consists of an office and a waiting room, separated by a wall, with a fireplace in each room.
Following the Civil War, this railroad connection allowed Kernersville to become a strong tobacco town. Kernersville had five tobacco factories, two tobacco warehouses, and other related industries. A fancy passenger and freight depot was constructed directly across the railroad tracks from the one still standing, and it was demolished by the Southern Railroad in 1985.
|The track, looking east, with Highland Industries to the right.|
|All of the banks are just around the corner... the girls are enjoying their lollipops, too.|
|Located at the entrance of Fourth of July Park, the Piney Grove School has been decorated for the holidays.|